History of the SLCAA
In 2006, International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) conducted a Universal Safety Oversight Audit Program (USOAP) on the State Aviation System and the outcome of it indicated that Sierra Leone had deficiencies in all the Eight Critical Elements (8 CE) areas.
- Primary aviation legislation.
- Specific operating regulations.
- State civil aviation system and safety oversight functions.
- Technical personnel qualification and training.
- Technical guidance, tools and the provision of safety-critical information.
- Licensing, certification, authorization and approval obligations.
- Surveillance obligations
- Resolution of safety concerns
A Corrective Action Plan (CAP) was developed and agreed between ICAO and the Government of Sierra Leone amongst which included the establishment of the Sierra Leone Civil Aviation Authority (SLCAA) through an Act of Parliament in 2008 but became operational in 2010